What is Assistive Technology?
What is Assistive Technology (as defined by Virginia DMAS)?
Assistive Technology(AT), as defined by the Department of Medical Assistance Services (DMAS), is specialized medical equipment, supplies, devices, controls, and appliances which are medically necessary and enable individuals to increase their abilities to perform Assisted Daily Living tasks or to perceive, control, or communicate with the environment in which they live, or which are necessary to their proper functioning. Assistive Technology devices are expected to be portable.
Examples of AT:
- Access Controls
- Aids to Daily Living
- Assistive Listening Devices
- Augmentative/Alternative Communication Devices
- Visual Aids
What is NOT Assistive Technology (as defined by Virginia DMAS)?
- Durable Medical Equipment (This must be assessed on a case by case basis.)
- Devices that are not portable (Environmental Modifications).
- Devices for the purpose of convenience to the primary caregiver or restraint of the individual.
- Devices for purpose of recreation, leisure, divisional purposes, an outlet for behavioral supports or used primarily for educational purposes.
Which devices can Ability Unlimited supply?
All devices are purchased from outside distributor’s, making it possible for us to provide unlimited product! We provide it all from vision, to hearing, physical, learning, and communication devices. We are fast, easy, and headache free. We work for YOU!
What types of AT devices will fit my medical need?
Medical need for devices must be identified and documented by a professional familiar with the device and the individuals needs. The individuals primary care doctor will need to provide agreement of medical necessity.
I cannot thank you all enough. It is so great to be able to feed our guy the same food we eat and to help him feel included in our meal times.
My son and I are currently learning and working with our new device and I hope it will help tremendously in furthering his ability to speak.
I just wanted to thank you again for your promptness and assistance with supporting this family. You’ve been great!